History

Canoes at King IslandThe Hanson family, starting with our pioneers Kendall and Ellen Hanson with help from many other family members and friends, established Hanson’s King Island Lodge on Lake of the Woods in 1926, and later Hideaway Lodge at Crow Lake in 1936. (Kakagi Lake is the aboriginal name of the lake, and’ translates from Ojibway to English as ‘Black Bird’) They were also operating several smaller camps in the area, around the same period.

Hideaway Lodge was to act as a halfway camp between King Island and the camps at points east and over a short period of time had developed its own following of loyal guests who fell in love the lake’s scenic beauty, crystal clear waters, and world class fishing for Lake Trout, Muskie, Northern Pike, Smallmouth Bass and Whitefish – not to mention the big game trophies that call the area home.

Over the years there have been many changes, improvements, technological updates and expansions, but the essence of what was started over 80 years ago at Hideaway Lodge has remained the same; getting our guests out into the great outdoors and away from the ever increasing hectic pace of everyday life.

This rich family tradition of offering authentic wilderness getaways, and off the beaten path adventures has carried through the generations. We are proud and privileged to offer our guests experiences which they will carry with them for a lifetime.